Academic Information and Regulations

Academic Calendar

The college operates on a term system (also called a quarter system). Fall term begins in late September and ends in early December. Winter term begins in early January and runs until mid-March, and Spring term begins in late March and ends in mid-June. Summer term runs from late June until late August. See

Credit Hours and Credit Loads

Generally speaking, a class that meets one hour a week for one term with an expected homework load of two hours outside of class will be a one-credit class (whether distance education or in class work). Classes that meet three hours per week with six hours of outside homework will yield three credits. A lab class usually yields one credit for each two or three hours of lab time. Remember, most classes require two hours of homework in addition to each class hour. In our Program Descriptions, we suggest curricula that will allow you to complete the program in one or two years; if you are working or have outside commitments, you may need to extend that timeline. To earn a transfer degree in two years, you should schedule an average of 15 credits per term to accumulate 90 credits in six terms. Fifteen credits translates to an average of a 45- hour work week. You may take no more than 20 credits in any single term without a counselor’s approval. The time required to complete a program may vary according to your preparation when you enter school and the availability of classes.

Grading System


Excellent work; 4 quality points per credit.


Above average work; 3 quality points per credit.


 Average work; 2 quality points per credit.


Below average work; 1 quality point per credit.


Failing work; 0 quality points per credit.


Incomplete work (not computed in GPA).


Pass, C or above, credit earned (not computed in GPA).


Withdrawal; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).


No pass; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).


Audit; no credit earned (not computed in GPA).


Repeated; followed by original grade (not computed in GPA).


Academic renewal.


Grade Point Average (GPA) is calculated by dividing total quality points by total hours. (Grades not included in GPA are Z, IN, W, P, NP, AU and repeated grades preceded by R.) Transcripts show current GPA (one term) and cumulative GPA (all classes taken at LBCC). You can obtain your grades via your WebRunner student account.

Honor Roll

If you obtain a term grade point average of 3.50 or better with no incompletes and have completed a 12-credit load or more of graded LBCC class work (not including P/NP) for that quarter, you are placed on the Honor Roll.


The Oregon College Immunization Law requires that community college students born on or after Jan. 1, 1957, and in the allied health, intercollegiate sports or early childhood education program receive two doses of measles vaccinations.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Students registered for 12 or more credits at the beginning of the third week of the quarter are subject to academic standing regulations. Students are placed on probation if their term grade point average drops below 2.00 for the term, and/or a student doesn’t complete 70 percent of their credits.

A student on probation for two consecutive terms is subject to suspension for one term. After one term, the student is eligible to enroll full-time and is considered to be on third term probation. After third term probation, a student will be suspended for one year if they are not making progress towards good academic standing.

Repeating a Class

In general, you cannot repeat a class for additional credit. Exceptions are noted under the individual course descriptions section of this catalog. Any course completed with a grade below a “C” may be repeated for grade replacement and GPA recalculation. Any course completed with a grade of a “B” or “C” may be repeated once for grade replacement and GPA recalculation. Any student desiring a grade replacement for GPA recalculation must initiate the process by filing a request form at the Registration Office. Any replacement grade will replace all previous grades for that course number. Any grade replaced will be preceded by an “R” on the transcript and removed from credit and GPA totals.

Pass/No-Pass Option

A course designation of “OPT” indicates that you have the option of taking the course for a letter grade or on a pass/no-pass (P/NP) basis. It is your responsibility to check the class schedule to determine whether a class has the P/NP option. Requests for “P” grades may be processed through the Registration Office, through the instructor or through your WebRunner student account. It is not advisable to choose the “P” grade for major coursework in your field of study. If you are planning to transfer to a four-year institution, you should check that institution’s requirements regarding “P” grades. The maximum number of “P” credits allowed toward a degree is 16, not including those with an obligatory “P” grade.

Incomplete Rule

If you take an incomplete in a class (“IN” grade), you must complete the coursework by the end of the following term. (Students completing work for a spring term class have until the end of fall term.) If you fail to complete the work, you will receive a default grade, which is usually an “F” grade. “IN” grades normally are not awarded in variable credit classes.

Graduation: Standards of Progress

 See the “Graduation Requirements” section of this catalog.

Withdrawing from School

If you find you can no longer attend classes, you should officially withdraw from school. Students who withdraw within the refund period may expect a tuition refund. A grade of “W” will not be recorded if the withdrawal is processed before the drop deadline (through the second Monday of the term). A grade of “W’ will be recorded for classes dropped after the refund period and before the withdrawal deadline (by the end of the 7th week). (Note: “W” grades are considered non-completion grades for academic standing and financial aid. Also see “Refunds” and “Withdrawal Deadlines” in the Schedule of Classes.)

Transferring LBCC Credits

Lower-division credits can be transferred from LBCC to most colleges throughout the United States. Lower-division students may transfer up to 124 credit hours to schools in the Oregon University System. If you are planning to transfer credits to another college or university, you are encouraged to work with an LBCC advisor in planning an appropriate transfer program. It is also recommended that you coordinate your plan with that institution. Your transcript can be obtained at

Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)

LBCC offers a number of options for students to earn credit based on prior learning or experience. Credit is awarded based on recognized standards and with the approval of faculty. Awarded credit is transcripted in accordance with standards established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

Credit By Exam

Advanced Placement (AP):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to AP exams. Students who meet requirements must submit official scores to receive credit. LBCC follows the score and credits to be awarded as established by a statewide agreement among community colleges and public universities. Accepted AP scores and related course credit awards are published on the LBCC website. Contact Admissions or Registration for more information.

International Baccalaureate (IB):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to IB exams. Students who meet requirements must submit official scores to receive credit. LBCC follows the score and credits to be awarded as established by a statewide agreement among community colleges and public universities. Accepted IB scores and related course credit awards are published on the LBCC website. Contact Admissions or Registration for more information.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP):

LBCC awards credit for courses articulated to CLEP exams. Students who meet requirements must submit official scores to receive credit. Accepted CLEP scores and the related credit awards are published on the LBCC website. Credit is awarded in alignment with Oregon State University. Contact Admissions or Registration for more information.

Credit by Challenge Exam:

Students may earn course credit by successfully completing an exam or through skill demonstration. If you believe you already have mastered the material presented in a course listed on LBCC’s Course Challenge List, you can stop by the Student Assessment Center and apply for Credit by Examination. To apply, you must be currently enrolled in a credit class or you must have completed 12 credits at LBCC. You must submit your application by Monday of week 2 of a term, and you must complete the examination by the end of the seventh week of that same term.

Before you take the exam, you must pay a nonrefundable processing fee consisting of 30 percent of the tuition per challenged course per credit hour. An additional testing fee may be required. For details about Credit by Examination, stop by the Student Assessment Center or call 541-917-4781.

Credit for Training and Experience

Credit for Military Training:

LBCC follows American Council of Education guidelines in awarding credit for military training. Service members who present a DD-214 are automatically awarded three physical education activity credits. Official transcripts from respective branches of the military are required.

Credit for LBCC Training:

Students in the LBCC non-credit childcare training program are eligible to earn education course credits upon successful completion of designated trainings. Faculty certify successful completion of the required training sequence and informs students of the option to have course credit awarded. Contact the Child and Family Studies department for information.

Student Educational Records

Transcripts and Records

Unofficial transcripts can be obtained from your WebRunner student account for free. Official student transcripts may be ordered online through your WebRunner student account, via the National Student Clearinghouse by selecting the link from the WebRunner, (you can also log onto the National Student Clearinghouse at or use our Transcript Request Form from the online Registration Forms and Applications page.

Transcripts cost $5 for the first copy and $1 for each additional copy ordered at the same time, regardless of whether they are official or unofficial. (These fees are subject to change.) It takes up to five business days to process a transcript order. Rush orders (guaranteed processing in less than five days) cost $10 for the first and $1 for each additional ordered at the same time. There is an additional $1 charge to have a transcript faxed. Students have access to transcripts and records as outlined in ‘The Student Records and Disclosure of Student Records Policy 7040.’ Official records belonging to a student who has failed to make an installment tuition payment, repay an emergency loan, or other debt or obligation to the college will not be released, either to the student or to another institution, as long as the obligation is outstanding.

Records Information

Linn-Benton Community College follows the Federal Health Education and Welfare Guidelines for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended (Pell-Buckley amendment) and the Oregon Administrative Rules regarding Privacy Rights and Information Reporting in Community Colleges in regard to educational records.

Federal legislation gives students the right to inspect and review their educational records as defined in LBCC Board Policy # 7040. If you believe your records contain information that is inaccurate, misleading or in violation of your rights, you may ask the college to amend the record. If the college denies this request, you will be informed of this decision and of your right to a hearing. Further, you may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education by contacting the Family Policy and Regulations Office, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202.

Directory Information

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, LBCC considers the following to be directory, therefore public, information: student’s name; address; telephone listing; email; major field of study; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of sports team members; dates of enrollment; enrollment status; school or division of enrollment; and degrees and awards received. If you do not want the above information released, file a Directory Deletion Form at the Registration Office. Information will not be released without consent except as per Oregon Administrative Rules (for example, in case of federal audit).

Social Security Number

OAR 559-004-0400 authorizes Linn-Benton Community College to ask you to provide your Social Security number. The number will be used by the college for reporting, research, and record keeping. Your number will also be provided by the college to the Oregon Community College Unified Reporting System (OCCURS), which is a group made up of all community colleges in Oregon, the State Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development and the Oregon Community College Association. OCCURS gathers information about students and programs to meet state and federal reporting requirements. It also helps colleges plan, research, and develop programs. This information helps the colleges to support the progress of students and their success in the workplace and other education programs.

OCCURS or the college may provide your Social Security number to the following agencies or match it with records from the following systems:

  • State and private universities, colleges, and vocational schools, to find out how many community college students go on with their education and to find out whether community college courses are a good basis for further education;
  • The Oregon Employment Department, which gathers information, including employment and earnings, to help state and local agencies plan education and training services to help Oregon citizens get the best jobs available;
  • The Oregon Department of Education, to provide reports to local, state and federal governments. The information is used to learn about education, training, and job market trends for planning, research, and program improvement.
  • The Oregon Department of Revenue and collection agencies only for purposes of processing debts and only if credit is extended to you by the college.
  • The Internal Revenue Service for 1098T reporting.
  • The College Board, if you take the Accuplacer Placement test, for educational research purposes. State and federal law protects the privacy of your records. Your number will be used only for the purposes listed above.
  • The National Student Clearinghouse for loan deferment and student record services.

Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct

The college’s Board of Education has established policy relating to student rights, freedoms, responsibilities and due process. This policy outlines the rules for student conduct and describes the procedures for due process and for filing a complaint. See policy on the LBCC Students' Rights Responsibilities and Conduct web page. All students should read and know this policy. It sets out expectations for the LBCC Community. The form to report a concern or complaint is also at this site

Students in the LBCC/OSU Degree Partnership Program are held accountable to conduct standards at both institutions. LBCC and OSU may each intervene in cases of misconduct, particularly in issues involving health and safety. Students are given opportunity for due process; those found in violation of conduct codes may receive sanctions from each institution. Linn-Benton Community College and Oregon State University reserve the option to decide that only one institution will process a case of misconduct.

Student Consumerism Information

In accordance with 34 CFR Part 668, you have the right to know certain information about LBCC, including a variety of academic information, financial assistance information, institutional information, information on completion or graduation rates, institutional security policies and crime statistics, and financial support data. For details, see